Saturday, May 16, 2009

Yikes!

Has it really been so long. Eep! How can I possibly condense everything that happened in one short-ish post? Oh I know. Movie!!





The rest of the trip was pretty great, if somewhat stressful. My first day on my own it rained buckets so I parked myself at one the many expat coffee shops in the old quarter and read while drinking many glasses of watermelon juice.  The next day I finally ventured out on my own braving the crazy traffic. Crossing the street is terrifying in Hanoi, more terrifying in a way that riding the Se-om (motorbike taxies).  The was also pretty awful. That coupled with the crazy jetlag meant that I would walk around in 2 hour stints and then sit down someplace with air conditioning for an hour and a half.

Mikka is now stateside and plotting a new adventure in Japan and hopefully that will mean more trips for me too!


In other news...


...I've spent the last eight months rooming with Meg in the Financial District just two blocks south of the World Trade Center site.  July will find me back in Chicago to spend the year writing my dissertation, traveling to different archives, knitting, cooking, and learning how to make cheese. Oh yeah, I got BIG plans.




But that also means that this blog will no longer be about New York livin'.  Guess I'll have to find a new subtitle. 



1 comment:

mikka said...

Oh my god, Hanoi!! Your video made me miss it (and you! and that crazy exhaust-pipe-burn-happy week!) - i can't believe it's been so long.

Pllleeease come to Japan!!